Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 19:24:36 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        "Christopher T. Johnson" <cjohnson@netgsi.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question: Recording from CD via AWE 64

Christopher T. Johnson:
 |> Try tosha :
 |> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports-current/audio/tosha
 |>
 |> It can copy sound tracks in 16bit.
 |
 |Unfortunently, I have one of the older CDROM drives.  I and 2 friends
 |bought 10 of them for $300 dollars about 2 years ago.  They are 2x
 |CDROM readers and do not support access to audio trackes.  Tosha gives
 |lots and lots of error messages.

Well, if nothing else, you can resample @ 44Khz 16-bit stereo via the
soundcard's DSP.  If your AWE64's like my SB32 you have a CD-audio input.
Make sure your CD's plugged into it, use mixer or xmix to set the recording
source to CD, then record from the dsp while workman plays your CD.

There's a link to some simple DSP record/play utils I use off my home page:

        http://multiverse.com/~rhh/

(Shift-Click in Netscape to grab it).  Unpkg, "make", and then:

        dsp-record -r 44100 -b 16 -c 2 > RAWAUDIO

to record 44Khz 16-bit stereo.  Use dsp-play with the same args to play it
back via the dsp.

 |> I'm looking for tools to record from my CD and also to be able
 |> to convert sounds to MP2 or MP3 format.
 |
 |> I'd prefer 44100Hz sampling on 16 bits.

With the raw file in hand, use sox to convert it to AIFF, then mpeg_musicin
(mpegaudio port) to take that to mp2 or mp3:

     sox -t raw -s -w -c 2 -r 44100 RAWAUDIO -t aiff AUDIO.aiff
     mpeg_musicin -l 2 -p 1 -b 384 AUDIO.aiff AUDIO.mp2

Randall Hopper