Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:35:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        res03db2@gte.net (The Clark Family)
Cc:        jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org (j mckitrick), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

> Not all UNIX is open source or GPL. I would expect to find that
> fancier debugging tools are available, in commercial toolsets on UNIX.

I used to use BattleMap; it's now been renamed since the company
was sold, but it's still available.  It generate test cases by
doing branch path analysis of the code.  This meant that the test
code had 100% code coverage.

100%.

BattleMap cost us $50,000 per workstation back in the early 90's.

I have also seen a commercial network management and configuration
design tool.  That tool cost $250,000 for a 1 year license for one
machine.  You paid for the graph theory and the patents on the code.

So yes, such tools exist.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---