Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 00:24:44 -0700
From:      "J. Rasins" <jrasins@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Since the MicroSloth(tm) jokes have been flowing...

At 09:16 AM 8/29/97 +0100, you wrote:

SNIP

>actually /use/ computers for. With Lotus/Wordperfect sinking fast, where is
>the competition?

In the legal market, Corel has stopped the bleeding, and has even regained
a few percentage points of the market.  Of course, I realize everyone else
outside of legal seems to be switching.  What is it that makes people buy
it just because it says Microsoft?  Other than a well oiled and financed
marketing machine geared towards selling at the non-technical executives so
that the downward pressure to "jump on the bandwagon" is so extreme, and
the fact that many technical people will buy into it since the new mantra
is "nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft", or they will support it so
that they don't think that the money they spent on their MCSE was wasted or
the recommendation to throw out the baby with the bath water in order to
replace everything with Microsoft products was wrong, is there any other
reason?

Admittedly, some of the products are good, and NT does seem to be a good
OS, but better than anything else?  I just came back from a legal
conference and it was sad to hear how many firms are buying into the
everything Microsoft.  <<sigh>>

My personal goal is to see if I can eliminate all Microsoft products from
my PC, including the OS, yet still be able to use Windows 95 based
applications if necessary, or where replacements native to the new OS
aren't available or comparable.  Linux / FreeBSD are first choices with
each loaded on a machine at home.  Any pointers?