Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:29:13 -0600
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg server 6.9.0 hang on ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350 AQ) with dri enabled

I just upgraded my FreeBSD 6 workstation with 6.1-PRERELEASE amd64 built
Feb 7 2006 to Xorg 6.9.0 only to find the standard X server seemed to
hang at startup using 100% of the CPU in system mode (I was able to
login from another system via SSH and run top(1) to see what was
happening). It's an Athlon 64 system w/ Asus A8V motherboard and ATI
9600 (ATI Radeon 9600SE AQ (AGP) chipset, according to Xorg.0.log.
kldstat showed radeon.ko and drm.ko were loaded.  I've re-built and
installed the dri-6.4.1,2 port with no change in results.

Commenting out the 'load "dri"' line in the modules section of xorg.conf
has made X usable again for me.  I see a thread from Chris Shenton
<chris@shenton.org> (although the subject was "Xorg 8.9.0 [sic] "radeon"
with DRI hangs FreeBSD-6.1, OK without DRI") that doesn't seem to have
come to a successful resolution...

Any thoughts?

Please include my address in replies since I'm not subscribed to this list.

Guy

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.
Principal System Architect