Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:52:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike <sturdee@qtm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Mike wrote:

> I've been looking through your site, and see you have install instuctions
> for DOS.. I was wondering what i need to do to install FreeBSD on a newly
> assembled computer that has not yet been booted.

ie, a machine with no operating systems installed?

You'll need access to a DOS or UNIX machine with a floppy drive and some
way of getting the boot floppy image onto it, being by dial-up, LAN, or
CDROM.  For DOS, all you need to grab is rawrite.exe from tools/ and the
boot floppy image boot.flp from floppies/.  For UNIX, you just need
boot.flp, then run ``dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/rfd0'' (or equivalent device)
to copy the image to the disk.

Or, you could create a 20mb slice, install DOS on it, rawrite the floppy
then blow it away when you get to the FreeBSD slice editor.  This is
actually a good idea; this way, the slice is created to that it is
compatible with booteasy, if you ever plan to install more OSs on this
machine.