Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 1995 10:41:51 -0400
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   devinfo - Houston, we have a small crisis here..

<<On Sun, 03 Sep 1995 17:43:48 -0700, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> said:

> I'd always intended to change this to grab the device list more the
> way lsdev(1) does it, but my hoped-for salvation there now appears to
> be imperiled by the fact that many important devices (like de0 and all
> CDs, SCSI disks and tapes, as I've so far found) just don't register
> the appropriate information.

The way the PCI drivers handle devconf is completely wrong; it's one
of the items on my whiteboard to fix.  I place the rewrite fairly high
in priority, so you can expect to see something happen pretty soon
(unfortunately not soon enough to help you in doing 2.1).

> Garrett: How come the set of device classes is wider with devmenu?  It
> uses dc_class whereas lsdev uses the more restricted machdep_devtype
> from <machine/devconf.h> instead of <sys/devconf.h>.  If there is
> some rhyme or reason to this, I'm not seeing it! :-(

lsdev was written much earlier than devmenu was and needs to be
updated.  For the moment, the best thing to do (I know that it's evil)
is to have a table of driver names built in, and then match those
against what devconf says to assign classes.  You should have a
`bogus' class for the things that the PCI code incorrectly registers.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.