Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2015 08:34:44 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pthread leaky with resources?

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:19:35 -0600
Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net> wrote:

> > When a thread is created, it will first try to reuse cached
> > resources before allocating new resources.
> >
> > If you are creating 200 threads, for instance, try destroying those
> > 200 threads, then create 200 new threads.  You shouldn't see much
> > change in resources, as libpthread should use the cached
> > resources.  If you see a double in the amount of resources used,
> > then that would seem like a bug.
> >
> Thanks for the response. Let me do some more testing. I know that OS
> developer time is a precious resource. If I can find more evidence of
> the problem I will present it.

I am currently also working on a multi threaded program and have had
also a problem like this. I thought it was an error 100% on my side. As
I also did at the same time an upgrade to

10.1-STABLE FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE #2 r276328

it could be that there was really some problem in a library.

Some of the threads just return while others are cancelled. If you have
cancelled threads, do you use pthread_cleanup_push and
pthread_cleanup_pop?

Erich