Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 1997 21:12:43 -0800
From:      shegonee@ix.netcom.com
To:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   direct serial connection

How can I verify a serial connection between two machines?
I have two Pentiums side-by-side running FreeBSD 2.1. using a null-modem
cable connecting COM2(ttyd1,cuaa1) on one machine to COM2 on the other.
I've verified that gettys are running on these ports; however, when
I run minicom on one machine configured to use /dev/ttyd1, I am unable
to get a login prompt or anything.
The modems work fine on ttyd2(cuaa2) for dialing in and out. I noticed
that almost everthing in rc.serial is commented out. Is there any special
modifcations to FreeBSD 2.1 out of the box that is needed to allow
direct terminal connections?
The FAQ: 10.9. How can I connect a dumb terminal to my FreeBSD box?
(http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ151.html#151) doesn't give any
useful information to troubleshoot serial connections.
How can you verify connectivity with direct serial connections?