Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:47:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mats Dufberg <dufberg@sunet.se>
To:        Vladimir <3dshooter@eudoramail.com>
Cc:        FAQ@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Vladimir wrote:

> Hi, there guys! First I wonna thank you for what you are doing! That's
> great & really helpfull! But I got a problem that's not covered in
> your FAQs. So I decided to write you (hoping smb will read it :-). I'm
> trying to put FreeBSD on my 386 DX40(4mb) & connect it via
> NE1000compat. to my Pentium133(24mb). I built a new kernel for Pent,
> compiled it & it worked. But when I built a new kernel for 386 &
> installed it my comp (386) hanged up after a string: npx0 at 0xf0-0xff
> irq 13 flags 0x1 on motherboard.
>  I know this option is mandatory, so I can't disable it & it's about
> coprocessor. I have 386DX so there is a hardware coprocessor. I
> disabled MATH_EMULATION in kernel. It didn't help. I enabled it - it
> didn't help niether. So what's the problem - I don't get it. Please
> answer me, cause there is no BSD guru around in my town (I'm from
> Russia).

The normal 386 (386DX) had no built in coprocessor. That was a feature of
486DX. (The distinction DX-SX was not the same for 386 as for 486.)

Mats Dufberg
KTHNOC, KTH, S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
Telefon/Phone:  +46-8+790 83 46  Fax: +46-8-10 25 10
Email: dufberg@sunet.se
SUNET:s www-katalog: http://www.sunet.se/sweden/main-sv.html