Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 11:15:37 -0500
From:      "Bill Moran" <bill_moran2@hotmail.com>
To:        neuhauser@bellavista.cz
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do boot-time splash screens work?

>From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
># bill_moran2@hotmail.com / 2002-12-26 10:42:13 -0500:
> > A month or so ago I was trying to get Chuck's smiling
> > face on my machine during boot up.  I followed the
> > instructions in man splash, but no dice.  Same old
> > probing screen.
> >
> > Does this even work?  I tried doing it a year or so
> > ago and couldn't get it working then.  I recently
> > re-installed FreeBSD (new, bigger HDD!) and was going
> > to try it again, but I don't want to spend time on it
> > if (for example) it simply doesn't work.
>
>     I used pretty splash screens at two points in the past on different
>     hardware without any problems I could remember. Could you show us
>     your configuration?

Unfortunately, I can't give the exact config, because I didn't bother to
save it when I reinstalled (since it wasn't working anyway).
I tried following the man page to the letter, so I'll try it again here
and document my exact steps.
However, your reply is already a large portion of the answer I was
looking for: that it does work if done correctly, and therefore it's
worth me trying again.

Thanks,
Bill