Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 23:56:07 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new netscape6 is awesome!

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 11:36:28PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> [001004 23:33] wrote:
> > Does Version 6 for Linux have the same "spyware" features that
> > that the Windows version has?
>
> Urm?  What port/subnet do i need to block?

I would assume it tunnels it through http, port 80. Netscape might not
be too useful if you just block that one.

App developers are making assigned ports pointless. They use port 80
for everything so it "just works" without having people have to whine
at their firewall administrators to get the ports open for the
app. Stateful packet filter firewalls be will totally obsolete soon
(if they aren't already). We'll all have to run a http proxy on the
local box.