Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:44:33 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Edward Kovarski <edwardk@digitalized.com>
Cc:        "Damon M. Conway" <damon@chiba.3jane.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

Edward Kovarski wrote:

> I would have agreed with your comments a few years ago when I shared
> the same sentiment about xemacs.
>
> Unfortunately back then I didn't know any better. :)
>
> Annoyance was not the correct word when I first fired it up. It was
> more like an aptitude test for anger management class. It didn't help
> that my keys were not properly mapped either.
<snip>

The operators at work had a "duck" cartoon that had a duck with a big
mallot that was getting ready to smash a PC keyboard. The caption went
some like "Patience my a__, I want to kill something." At some point
concerns for being PC (politically correct) probably overcame being
funny and the cartoon came down.

> Speaking of overkill. I would still recommend that most users start out
> with the bundled vi editor. It doesn't offer any of the extensions that
> VIM has but at least it will give you a base of knowledge that applies
> to other platforms. Starting with vim will make you more reliant on its
> specific features, just as x/emacs does, which are then useless on any
> boxes with don't have it installed.

This goes back to 1988 when we got the Cray. They were astonished that
we wanted to destroy their fine machine by adding VI. The system took
a hit when 60 or so people were running vi. When we benchmarked it we
had a couple of SUN's running emulated user sessions on the Cray. The
program would send a series of commands to the user's session on the
Cray and then measure the response time. The users sessions would
extend the benchmark time by a few percentage points but not by many.
They had a deadline and it could make it tight. That was when they
found that caching the write's was 1/3 of the throughput for our
benchmark. They effectively increased the load by 50% by write behind
caching.

Later, we decided that vi was a rite of passage to using Unix Systems.
If you knew the basic dozen vi commands, you could be dropped onto
almost any Unix system and do something useful. You wouldn't be a
local super star but you could do useful work. Emacs wasn't on many of
the systems and the "badday.mpg" that Mark's message pointed to was
close to being true if you had to switch editors. Some people I know
did all of their editing on PC's because they had KEdit on them.

Kent

> All in all, there is no wrong choice as each edits files correctly. They
> just differ in their approach and functionality. Choose whatever is most
> appropriate to your working needs and programming languages.
>
> /e
>
> Damon M. Conway <damon@chiba.3jane.net> writes:
> >
> > i have...it's big, slow, overkill, and annoying.
> >
> > that's just my opinion, i could be wrong. :)
> >
> > nomad
> >
> > --
> > Damon Conway
> > Black Rock City Ranger...Riding the edge of chaos
> > "Ana Ng and I are getting old,
> > but we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence."
> >    -- TMBG

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com