Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:44:14 +0200
From:      Mark Huizer <freebsd@xaa.iae.nl>
To:        "David L. Vondrasek" <dallas.tx@airmail.net>, Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SLRN

> >Why don't you just set up sendmail on your host so that it forwards
> >mail with unknown (to it) destinations to your gateway?  You should
> >be able to just set up a smart host (DS macro, IIRC) for this.  You
> >may also want to masquerade your sending address (DM macro) so
> >your return address makes sense to the outside world.
>
> Easy for you to say :) Last time I tried to CONFIG Sendmail to do this I
> got nowhere. 5 days of reading man pages and web sites and email with a
> VERY nice user who tried to help with it. Still no luck. Sorry I am not a
> Sendmail guru and have no idea what the CONFIG files tags do or what to
> change. I have tried and failed miserably. Thus the reason I asked about SLRN.

given that you don't know anything about sendmail, you will have a
default config, so... the smart host is just adding something behind the
DS field

So you should have a line DS:gateway.my.domain

(and perhaps put it in /etc/hosts)

should you need the rest, if you work from the mc file with the cf-kit,
which is included with sendmail nowadays, it's
feature(nocanonify)

That should do the job.

Alternatives are to use qmail, vmailer or whatever

Mark
--
Nice testing in little China...