Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:24:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      scot@poptart.org
To:        Kondie <kondwani@malawi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help on kerberos, ssh

We've just implemented Kerberos V internally and are very pleased with it
- we replaced Sun's NIS+ with a mixture of Kerberos and standard NIS (the
NIS password maps have "*" as the password field).

But - it's not a simple concept and the documentation isn't all that great
- I'd recoment you get hold of "Kerberos : A network authentication
system" by Brian Tung if you want to go this way.

Kerberos works by way of shared secrets - all the servers that provide
services share a key with the KDC (which authenticates users and provides
tickets to services), - so that they can talk securely - as do you the
user (your password) and the KDC.  This is different to the SSH model
which is public key based and doesn't require the administrator to
distribute shared keys amongst machines.  We use a version of SSH compiled
with Kerberos support - which just adds another way for the SSH server to
know it's really you trying to login (as opposed to RSA or password
authentication).  Kerberos allows verification for the user that the
machine he's requesting a service from really is that machine and not
someone impersonating the machine.  SSH allows this only after the first
time you've talked to the machine (the known_hosts feature) - but this
isn't an enterprise wide thing.

In short, I'd say the Kerberos is best for medium to large organisations
that have a lot of machines and users - and SSH is good for communicating
with hosts that aren't in your enterprise.

Hope that helps...

Scot