Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 04:45:09 -0500
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   [gketell@juniper.net: Re: Juniper M160 vs. Cisco 12000 vs. other vendors]

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

You guys might enjoy the tid-bit about FreeBSD here.

Tim

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:25:24 -0700
To: list@inet-access.net
From: Greg Ketell <gketell@juniper.net>
Sender: owner-list@inet-access.net

At 12:04 PM 6/2/00 -0700, you wrote:
>At 8:09 AM 6/2/2000, Greg Ketell wrote:
> >Why are you so negative on Juniper?
>
>sorry if i may have hit any nerves;

Not really.  But it was reminding me of a similar discussion with a Cisco
GSR PM I got finageled into at a recent NANOG.

>this isn't personal..the topic does
>seem to have a debate team sound to it :)

Debates are often best for enlightening the listeners.  Participants may
not change their mind but the listeners get to.  (;->)

>(if i were to suddenly change hats, i'd mention something like "juniper
>never seems to mention 'code bloat' ")

We try not to bash publicly.

>if juniper is good on it's own merit, why do they have to mention the
>engineering team is composed of ex cisco employees? (rhetorical)

(serious answer) the reality is that to be able to write protocols that
work for Internet scale you have to have been writing protocols for
Internet scale.  Trying to take someone out of school who knows the theory
and have them write your code just doesn't work.  (Ask the Terabit
companies.)  Sooo Juniper swiped those who had already been doing it and
gave them the opportunity to "write it the way you think it should be done".

Juniper calls it the Internet Classroom.  You have to be in the Internet to
learn the quirks of trying to handle millions of users, hundreds of
thousands or routes.  We weren't there; we hired those who were.  New
startups have to try to do the same or they will not be able to have
protocols that can handle the Internet well enough to get into the
classroom to learn more.

>also, i was under the impression that cisco code trains are customer
>driven

True.  But they have far fewer Internet customer than Enterprise
customers.  So, how useful are those features to you.

>is freebsd really running inside the m160 router?

Grey area.  Back in 1996 the first development platform started out as
FreeBSD.  Since then just about everything has been completely
rewritten.  Way down deep surrounded by Juniper enhancements you can find
what used to be (and still acts a lot like) the FreeBSD kernel.

>which vendor has more knobs?

More? Cisco.  More useful?  That is for you guys (our mutual customers) to
decide.

>taste great, less filling..err..better mousetrap, less mice..

(;->)

>thanks again for all the juniper info

Any time.
GK