Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 2020 07:56:14 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Budi Janto <budijanto@studiokaraoke.co.id>
Subject:   Re: LUA ERROR: memory allocation error: block too big

[Resend because I failed to use the correct from address on the first
one and it got rejected by the list; apologies]

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:04 AM Budi Janto <budijanto@studiokaraoke.co.id> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Now, I'am running FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE, suddenly after restart system can
> not able to booting (boot to single user only).

> efipart_readwrite: rw=1, blk=5656992 size=40 status=7
> Startup error in /boot/lua/loader.lua:
> LUA ERROR: memory allocation error: block too big.
>
> can't load 'kernel'
>
> Type '?' for a list of commands. 'help' for more detailed help
> OK
>
> Anyone could give some clue to fixing this booting issue? -- Thank You.

Can you post a sample of your /boot/lodaer.conf, please? Though, the
efipart_readwrite error smack dab in the middle leaves me a bit
worried; status=7 looks like EFI_DEVICE_ERROR, which is a bit
sinister.

As an aside, I'd appreciate it if other folks in this thread could
simply stop dumping all over the many many many hours of work that
were put into getting lua into shape to replace the high-quality forth
that was already in place. The reality is that lua won a popularity
contest long ago [outside of a FreeBSD context][ and lowers the barrier
to being able to hack on our loader menus, which should be viewed as a
great thing. These comments were highly demoralizing, and I almost didn't
bother dropping into this thread because of them.

Believe it or not, issues with underlying media can cause problems
with 4thloader as well.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans