Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 18:16:13 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Jeffrey S Hertig <jeff@nazer.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dialin PPP

> I am running 3.0.
> I have my server using a dedicated ppp connection to my ISP.
> I am also on a local land.
>
> The problem is that dialin connections can access the local machine and
> internet through the connection but not the local network.  The local
> network can be accessed from the internet. I must not be setting up
> something right to get the dialin to route to the local network.  I
> can't seem to find how to add the route.

No, the problem is that your local network doesn't know how to route
to the dialin - they're going to their default router instead.

You should allocate a local IP number to the ppp peer (something
within the LAN netmask) and use ``enable proxy'' in your
configuration.  That way ppp will pretend that the dialer is local
and the rest of your LAN will believe it.

The alternative is to tell all machines on your lan how to route to
the ppp network and get ppp to dish out IPs for the ppp network only.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;