Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 12:53:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stunt Pope <markjr@shmOOze.net>
To:        mmoran@veronet.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Named disappeared

On 01-May-98 mmoran@veronet.net wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> Today, while I try to pick up my emails or check out other web sites. I
> unable to reach there with their names like yahoo.com but able to reach
> with IP addresses.
>
> I checked out my name server (currently use 'named') and found out there is
> no 'named' show up on ps -x command. I re-boot it to start over again and
> it's working now and 'named' showed up on ps command.
>
> How can this happened? Are there any reason(s) why the 'named' disappeared?
>
> Anyone who have same problem before?
>
> Thank you,

A friend of mine has this problem in an unpredictable and ongoing basis,
not on freeBSD, but on Solaris 2.5.1. I ended up writing a script for
him that he runs out of crontab that checks every 15 mins and restarts
named if it's dead.

It may take a bit of tweaking but if you want it, I can fire you a copy.
(Obviously the best solution is to figure out why it died and fix it,
but if not...)

-mark

---
Mark Jeftovic                   aka: mark jeff or vic, stunt pope.
markjr@shmOOze.net              http://www.shmOOze.net/~markjr
Private World's BOFH            http://www.PrivateWorld.com
irc: L-bOMb                     Keep `em Guessing