Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:47:13 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        "Long, Scott" <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, "'Sean Eric Fagan'" <sef@kithrup.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another laptop problem -- audio

> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:46:10 -0500
> From: The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> I ran into this on my i7500 and I've finally managed (after two days) to
> remember the solution!
>
> Make sure that the kernel says . . .
>
> 	device		pcm
>
> and *NOT*
>
> 	device		pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
>

> That extra crud will mess you up for sure.
>
> This is not the only kernel line from LINT (or even GENERIC) that's
> similarly messed up because it has _too_much_ information, where I've
> had to delete extra junk.
>
> Why is this done?  It seems really silly to me.

Did you actually read LINT? It's NOT messed up.

It depends on whether the sound card is ISA or PCI and whether it's
PNP. If it's ISA and you do not use PNP, you need the whole, ugly
thing.

This IS explained in LINT.
# For non-pnp sound cards with no bridge drivers only:
device          pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
#
# For PnP/PCI sound cards
device          pcm

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer