Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 09:55:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, support@4front-tech.com
Subject:   Re: OSS/FreeBSD and Ensoniq Soundscape

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, David E. Cross wrote:

> I got the OSS/FreeBSD drivers earlier this week, and have my SoundScape card
> "mostly" working.  The MIDI works flawlessly, but the wave support is verry
> unstable, it acts as if there is a DMA/IRQ conflict, but there is not...

Check the IRQs used by rndcontrol(8) at boot time.  I had my
soundblaster in the kernel at IRQ 10.  When I tried out OSS, it
reported a conflict getting IRQ 10 which stumped me for a long
time, then I realized that rndcontrol was grabbing IRQ 10 for
use by /dev/random before the sound driver could get it.

My problem now is anything that tries to write to /dev/dsp
becomes unkillable, and (according to top) the kernel
continuously pages out at about 700K/s until I reboot.  Top also
reports the cache size to grow to about 15 megabytes (32 megabyte
machine).  Bizarre.

Anyway, I don't really have the spare time right now to fiddle so
I've gone back to the stock sound driver.

-john