Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:21:10 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compilation goals.

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 09:22:34PM +1100, John Birrell wrote:
> > What I _don't_ want to see is gcc trying to interpret MACHINE_ARCH
> > or TARGET_ARCH or somehow trying to "discover" that it is cross-compiling.
>
> By `gcc' you mean the compiler, or the driver proper?

gcc (both in the sense of compiler and driver proper) doesn't try to
figure out if it is a cross-compiler or not. It's a compile-time
parameter that determines how the compiler (the one that's being built)
should behave when it is executed. In this sense it's only important for
the Makefiles to know or figure out whether or not the compiler (the one
that's being built) is to be a cross-compiler or not. A running compiler
*knows* if it's a cross-compiler or not, because it was told so during
compilation (of said compiler).

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/