Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:43:38 -0800
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        Dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: urgent, need to recover superblock!

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 22:23 -0500, Dave wrote:
>     Some urgency on this issue!    I've got a 10 gb ide drive that has
> critical data on one of it's
> partitions /dev/ad1e. This drive was originally gmirrored in
> another box it worked fine, it was the master drive. Now i've
> installed this drive as a slave in another 6.0 box, and now it
> shows up as ad1 with the partition i want being ad1e. I did a mount it
> worked fine. So i knew the drive was working, i then unmounted the
> partition, and tried to dump it to another drive. This didn't work, dump got
> an error about incorrect superblock. I then did a mount
> -o ro /dev/ad1e /mnt and i'm getting an error "Incorrect
> superblock" from mount. I then tried fsck /dev/ad1e and got the
> same error msg. These partitions were formatted with ufs2 as their
> filesystem. I then ran bsdlabel ad1 and got a printout of my label,
> this showed up which gives me hope that this data can be retrieved.
> An error i'm getting from bsdlabel says that the c: partition does not cover
> the
>  entire disk and that may result in utilities not working correctly. Any
>  help appreciated.
>     Some urgency!

My heavily-hacked version of ffsrecov (hacked to support UFS2 but not
quite ready for general release) might help with this.  Source is
available at http://www.exit.com/Archives/FreeBSD/ffsrecov.tar.gz.  If
you make changes, please send them back to me and I'll try to
incorporate them.  One of these days I'll get around to making this
thing suitable for ports.  But not today.

Hope it helps.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/