Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:40:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/40834: New port: net/linux-jigdo

The following reply was made to PR ports/40834; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To: Udo Schweigert <udo.schweigert@siemens.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:32:05 +0200 (CEST)

 Hello,

 > OK. But the debian images were the reason I noticed this software.
 Yes. They are the only massive users so far :)
 But that will change, I'm sure.

 > I have first tried to compile with db3 which failed for some reason I
 > hadn't time enough to investigate in (I only wanted to generate the
 > debian images).
 In the port, I submitted, you can choose not to compile in DB3 support (it
 is necessary only when creating .jigdo files, not during their
 extraction).
 And without GUI, because it isn't really working (experimental) and needs
 the whole X sources to compile, which most users doesn't want to download
 (like me).

 > >     I think running it in linux-emu is waste of resources.
 > linux-... ports are very common in the ports tree. I think the
 > ports-meisters should decide on this, I won't have any problem with
 > either decission.
 You are right when it comes to a binary only program. But jigdo is open
 source :)

 > >  3. in the knowledge of the above, I have submitted a port which compiles
 > >     on FreeBSD 4-STABLE and FreeBSD 5-CURRENT, and can reconstruct .jigdo
 > >     files.
 > Yes, that really works. Thanks.
 Did you try that?
 Thanks a lot.