Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:57:27 +0100
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosting more than one website on a cable connection (DHCP)... and using BIND

Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> I've been told I can use these free third party domain name servers.  I've
> also been told that you need to keep a record with at least 2 domain name
> servers when hosting a domain name.  While, I can do this, I'd like to
> host at least one DNS at home.
>
> Now, I'm completely confused if this can be done and if it can, then how
> to do it.

I don't know if it exists for free for you, too, but our provider
supports "HIDDEN PRIMARY" name servers. We just configure a name server
in our network and tell him our IP address for that machine. That he
transfers the zones to his name servers and provide internet reachable
name services for all our domains and subdomains.

> The FreeBSD handbook seems pretty straight-forward in setting up BIND.
> However, I don't know how to distinguish more than one domain name when
> using only one IP address.  Also, is it possible for the home DNS and the
> third party DNS's to work in tandem?

It's easy when you use hidden primaries and forward requests you cannot
answer by yourself.

Bye
Jens
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W