Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:52:23 +0200
From:      "Sven Vermeulen" <pe2tcp@zonnet.nl>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: installation problem

>I reported a similar problem about a week ago, but did not get any
>suggestions.  I suspect it is related to older CD-ROM drives; I was using a
>Toshiba IDE 4x drive.  It works properly with FreeBSD 2.2.1, Linux
>(Slackware, kernel 2.0.34) and Win95.

I was using a double-speed IDE cdrom drive and now I 've installed a 40x
drive but  I still have the same problem.

>Can you quote the exact error message?  On mine, it seems to be almost, or
>exactly, at the start of trying to read from the CD.  I am not keen to
>re-try at the moment, as I have Linux successfully installed on that
machine
>:-(

I don't get any error messages at all (not on the installation consoles, not
on vt4).
I 've tried to install slackware 7.1 but when the system boots from
installation
floppies I get a lot of messages about 'unexpected interrups" or so and
other
weird error messages about my floppy drive. So may'be there is something
wrong with my io hardware..