Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2020 12:20:04 -0800
From:      Andreas Ott <andreas@naund.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: r358062(ncurses) breaks installed ports, howto check?

Hi,

coming late to this game.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 11:43:15AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> > After r358062, many installed ports do not work anymore on several running systems (CURRENT).
> > /usr/src/UPDATING states one should reinstall all ncurses depending ports, but no hint is
> > given! Can someone mitigate this lack of information? Is there a simple way to check what
> > ports installed on a system rely on ncurses provided by the system?
>
> Turns out there was an exchange on the ports list, with
> various folks giving improvements on an initial example.
> My last contribution for a /bin/sh context was (showing
> an example use):

If you asked, how to check, I got that hint for free: my shell for the username I log in
with is /usr/local/bin/bash, and I get this...

$ ssh f-current.example.net
Password for user@f-current.example.net:
Verification code:
Last login: Thu Feb 27 16:29:47 2020 from <redacted_IPv6>
FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT (GENERIC) #0 r358294: Mon Feb 24 19:37:09 UTC 2020

Welcome to FreeBSD!

ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libncurses.so.8" not found, required by "bash"
Connection to f-current.example.net closed.

Obviously my automated compiler&reboot circus does not run pkg or ports
updating, and has no sane way of checking if that's required for even the
shell that logs you in.

Now where is that console access documented? Not all of the playground systems
are VMs just yet.

> # find /usr/local/*bin* /usr/local/lib* -type f \
> | xargs ldd -f '%p %A\n' 2>&1 | grep "^/lib/libncurses[^ ]*\.so\.8" | cut -w -f2 \
> | xargs pkg which -q | sort -u | more

after pkp update && pkg upgrade, this came back empty.

-andreas