Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:19:05 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, tanned7@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: How do I change my root password?

Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com> types:
> This might work:
> Right about the time the kernel stops waiting for SCSI devices to settle
> (during the last fifth or so of boot up if you don't have any SCSI devices),
> hit CTRL-C several times. If you didn't mark your local TTY as insecure, you
> should be dropped to a question asking which shell you want to use.
> Once you are at the command prompt, type "passwd root".
>
> Charles Burns
>
> Note that I have never dropped to single user mode as is described here
> other than when my latest kernel decides to panic. I am not certain that
> these instructions will work for a working system.

Even if that does work, it's evil. The default book sequence stops
with a counter (actually, it stops twice) that lets you hit a key
before continuing. During the second one, after the loader runs but
before the kernel runs, hit a space bar. Then type "boot -s" and hit
enter. It'll boot to single user mode. Mount the root file system r/w
with "mount /", then changet the passwd.

	<mike