Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 19:26:52 -0400
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems installing KDE Beta 4

Ok, there's seems to be no consensus on how to go about installing KDE.
Here's my situation:

I just installed a fresh 2.2.6 install over FTP.  So far, so good.

I have XFree86 running fine with the default window manager (ugh).

I've gathered from reading around that I do NOT want to install from the
files downloaded from the KDE website.  Instead, use the ports from the
FreeBSD site.  Very well...

Using /stand/sysintall, the port version listed is 3.1.  Not what I want
(4.1).

The version listed in /usr/ports/x11/kde is also 3.1 :(

The version listed at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/x11.html is 4.1.  YES.

HOWEVER... it gets confusing.  There are a bunch of files (kdebase,
kdelibs, giflib, jpeg, qt) that are needed, and order is unclear.  Ahh...
but the "meta-port" claims to be a one-stop shop to get KDE installed.

So I download the 4.1 metaport.  And I start installing it... only to see
it start trying to grab 3.1 files.  BAD... (it can't find them anyways).  I
abort.

Ok, so I'll try it by hand... install the individual packages by-hand, in
the best order I can figure.  giflib, jpeg, and qt all installed fine.
Looks like the next is kdelibs... go to install it, and I get errors.  It
requires bzip2, which it fetches, then bails on an md5/checksum error.
Grrr...

OK what the heck do I need to do to get 4.1 running?

Thanks in advance...