Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:42:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        LKentane@mweb.com (Langa Kentane)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command history (newbie)

Langa Kentane wrote,
> I am using FreeBSD-3.0 and my shell is csh (root :)).  Being a linux newbie
> also I have gotten used to using bash.  I don't wanna use bash in this case
> though.  I want to use csh and the one thing that is annoying me is that I
> can't scroll up my command histoy.
>
> How do I anable this feature for this shell and what keys will I have to use
> to move up the history??

You don't, you use tcsh instead. However, if you are going to use
tcsh, you might as well use bash. What you really should do is not use
root except when you have to.

csh does have a history mechanism, '!!' is the previous command, '!-2'
second to last, '!23' is the 23rd since the shell was spawned, '!ls'
is the last one to start with the string 'ls,' etc. etc., plus you can
do editing. See 'man csh.'