Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 23:20:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        toj@gorilla.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org

> On Fri, Feb 07, 1997 at 10:03:03AM -0800, Braden Marr wrote:
> > unsubscribe
>
> Could *not* unsubscribe because your date is out of range!! CORRECT

:)

Actually, I just use the following boilerplate reply.  Others are
free to copy it and use it for the same purpose:

---------
If you're receiving this message, it's because you recently sent an
"unsubscribe" request to one of the lists, perhaps thinking that you
were reaching an automated system instead of the multiple-thousands
of people who are now seeing your "unsubscribe" in their mailboxes
and thinking "Geeze, what a complete idiot!"  Perhaps some of them
are even now sending you email telling you this in more detail. :-)

This message attempts to clear some of that up for you so you don't
make the same mistake again.

First off, just about all mailing lists on the internet support the
-request naming standard, meaning that if the mailing list you wish to
get off of (or make some comment to the administrators about) is named
"taco-lovers" then the administrative alias will be called
"taco-lovers-request".  You do NOT send your messages to taco-lovers,
since that's only going to get to the fans of that most tasty mexican
dish, not the person (or program) who actually maintains the list and
can do something about your request.

Second, for those who plead ignorance of all this, let me just point
out that you *were* sent a welcome message when you joined the FreeBSD
mailing lists telling you to send ALL administrative requests to
majordomo@freebsd.org (the *-request aliases for our lists just point
to this one).  Our mailing list software is fully automated, and it's
up to the users to add and remove themselves as they see fit - no
FreeBSD personnel are involved in this!  If you just threw this
welcome message away and didn't read it, you have only yourself to
blame for the flames which may now be filling your mailbox.

If you have tried repeatedly with majordomo to remove yourself and
it's not working, you still don't want to send a message to the list
since the users can't help you - send mail in such cases to
postmaster@freebsd.org and the FreeBSD postmaster will manually
intervene to figure out why you're having problems with majordomo (and
try majordomo FIRST!  Our postmaster is very overworked!).

Thank you!

					Jordan