Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 03:15:08 +0100
From:      Lachlan Cranswick <l.m.d.cranswick@dl.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Querying on mirroring FreeBSD Web and FTP sites in UK academic site.

Hi,

To promote FreeBSD around here for hacker resistant servers (crystallographic
and scientific labs mainly) I would like to create a mirror of the FreeBSD
web and ftp sites.  (my server at the moment is an SGI running IRIX 6.5.x)
   freebsd.ccp14.ac.uk  (also aliased to freebsd.dl.ac.uk)

I have found the web-based mirrored information but cannot
seem to find the ftp based mirroring information.  Is doing
FTP based mirroring of the FTP site considered sociable or
is there a page describing this as well?

--------

Also:

Would it be possible that the Website (and hopefully the
FTP site) could also be mirrorable using the RSYNC program
which only needs a C compiler to get going.  (My web-server
at the moment is an SGI O2 and previous experiences
with Modula and IRIX have not been positive)

Rsync was written by Andrew Tridgell and Paul Mackerras - of
which the algorithm seems to be used in CVSup.  It can be
tunnelled through secure shell, have host/deny, etc.
   http://rsync.samba.org/
Also, possible flawed install runthrough at:
   http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14admin/rsync/

Allowing rsync based mirroring could make it easier for non
Modula types to also be mirroring the FreeBSD distributions.

Thanks,

Lachlan.

PS:  Have written some pages on FreeBSD at:
   Creating Highly Secure Crystallographic network/internet
    servers using the freely available BSD UNIX(s) for PC
 http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/solution/bsdunix/
The FreeBSD install and configuration is definitely top stuff
compared to other UNIXs.

Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick@dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk