Date:      16 Aug 1997 17:21:49 +0200
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is slower than Linux !?

>> On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:23:19 +0200 (MET DST), Paul Dekkers
>> <psd@worldaccess.nl> said:

    PD> On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
    >> Do be fair, I think you should mount the FreeBSd disks asyncronously. By
    >> default, it is set to Synchronously. Linux, at least it used to be this
    >> way, is mounted asynch. Disk access is HUGELY increases under FreeBSD if
    >> it is set to asynch. (mount -o async /dev/filesystem)

    PD> Joking? Look at my dd-test:
    PD> 	Linux	fBSD	fBSD with async	(linux with sync)
    PD> dd-test	2.61	4.95	4.78		2m06 (!!)
    PD> also with the other tests fBSD is still slower and the sync is faster,
    PD> even faster than last time without async, so FreeBSD really wrote
    PD> everything already.
    PD> and I'm sure the / was mounted with async! (checked with mount)
    PD> i'm using an i486 with 40mb's of memory so that should be enough for
    PD> FreeBSD to do something :-)

Hmm, you must be doing something wrong.

I run Linux (debian 1.3.1 and current) and FreeBSD (current) on the
same machine. They both have a partition on the same disk. Since I'm
kind of a benchmark fanatic I've been testing and comparing them quite
a lot.

I like Linux for it's nice appls (netscape plugins, dosemu etc), but
for sure FreeBSD's performance beats Linux on almost all points.

I test both on my machine which is a P90 with 48MB and SCSI disks
(NCR815 controller).

Of course, performance for Linux and FreeBSD may differ when using
different types of hardware (e.g. IDE iso SCSI, or different types of
IDE) or different versions. Maybe in your special case indeed Linux is
faster in the dd test, but usually it is not.

Did you:
- recompile both kernels with same level of gcc and optimization
  options?
- test both using the same disk, and also using a partition that is
  about on the same spot of the disk (the start of a disk can be quite
  a bit faster as the end of it).
- Use options for dd to make sure that the same blocksizes were used?
- etc. etc.

Generally:
dd on a disk is faster in FreeBSD.
Also is NFS (read and write), and things like doing an 'ls directory'
on a directory that contains lots (thousands) of files.
Paging and multitasking behaviour, and filesystem cache are also much
nicer and faster on FreeBSD.

When I switch to Linux I'm always annoyed by its (relative) slowness
and esp. bad multitasking (paging and fs. caching ) behaviour: one
process like a tape read can eat up all of the filesystem cache and
make the system real slow.

--
 /\_/\
( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust me, I know