Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:29:25 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp keepalive and dynamic ipfw rules

> > This rule doesn't do a heck of a lot, unless you have by default an
> > 'open' setup.
>
> A better idea may be to add the 'log' keyword to this rule, so you can
> see if someone is passing packets with fake 'established' flags.  Then,
> of course, deny all other unknown packets later.
>
> > # Allow me to make UDP connections
> > ipfw add check-state
> > ipfw add pass udp from me to any keep-state out
>
> This check-state rule is superflous, since the state will be checked
> at the keep-state rule if no check-state rule is present.

True, but in my case, there are *lots* of rules in between the two.  I
was giving an example

> Does anyone know of a place where one can look at a number of
> firewall rulesets?  I'm working on improving mine and would like
> to see the neat things people have come up with.

I try not to give mine out publically.  I know it's security through
obscurity, but what I have blocked and what I don't could be used
against me in some cases.

However, I'm willing to share what I have offline if you'd like.

Nate