Date:      18 Sep 2002 14:10:49 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Traffic shaping - current best practice?

I know that someone asks this question every now and then, but it's the kind
of thing that can change over time, so I ask again:

I want to use a FreeBSD firewall to provide bandwidth guarantees to
customers.  Specifically, several hosts will be sharing a 512Kbps pipe.
Some of those hosts are no-cost (read: no service commitment on my part),
but I may be taking on clients who would be paying for a guaranteed rate
(said rate being substantially less than 512Kbps).

I'm looking for a solution that would allow the non-paying hosts to have
full use of the bandwidth as long as the paying hosts are idle, but which
would ensure that the paying customers have their full bandwidth available
any time they need it.

I've used both ipfw and ipfilter.  I have no particular preference, although
a solution that supports bridging would be a bonus (which I think will limit
me to ipfw, but I'm not certain).

Any suggestions?
--
Kirk Strauser