Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:51:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Randy Katz <randyk@ccsales.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic or Static Query???

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Randy Katz wrote:

> I have a general question about a Web Site. Should the pages be generated
> dynamically or statically?

Absolutely statically.  If your hit rate goes ballistic the instances of
perl or sh will drag the system down way before you hit the static file
limit.

If the script breaks, the whole thing dies ;(

> PS - I understand that http://my.yahoo.com/? uses cookies and it must
> pull from a database to generate the pages...the front end one at
> least.

There are exceptions, I guess.  Use the anxiom ``Make the common case
fast'' and you should be OK.

Or else be ready to invest in a big server farm....