Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:54:43 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@wup.de>, Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quiet SCSI disk?

>  Beware.  The ncr driver allocates up to 4 tags per device.  The ahc
>driver has a certain number of tags per channel (and it isn't easy to see
>how many tags a device is using).  This number is determined by the card
>type.  Most have 16 tags per channel (the 2940UW definitely has 16SCBs).
>This number can be increased via paging the SCBs to system RAM.
>
>  Adaptec has been cheapening their 2940 line.  The original 2940 had 16
>SCBs, but newer cards only have 8.  I think the only 2940 with 16
>SCBs is the 2940UW.  Adaptec also made a 3940 with 255 SCBs, but newer
>3940s also only have 16.

Just to clear up any misconceptions:

  Chip      # of SCBs    # of slots in FIFOs   paging #tags   CAM paging #tags
aic7770        4                4                 N/A              255
aic7850        3                8                  8               255
aic7860        3                8                  8               255
aic7870       16               16                 255              255
aic7880       16               16                 255              255

Card Model     Chip        External SCB RAM
2940         aic7870            NO              DISCONTINUED
2940W        aic7870            NO              DISCONTINUED
3940         aic7870            NO              DISCONTINUED
3940W        aic7870            NO              DISCONTINUED
2940U        aic7880            NO              DISCONTINUED
2940UW       aic7880            NO
3940U        aic7880            NO
3940UW       aic7880            NO
2940AU       aic7860            NO
3980         aic7870            YES             DISCONTINUED
3980W        aic7870            YES             DISCONTINUED
3980U        aic7880            YES
3980UW       aic7880            YES
3985         aic7870            YES             DISCONTINUED
3985W        aic7870            YES             DISCONTINUED
3985U        aic7880            YES
3985UW       aic7880            YES

Adapters with external SRAM can be configured to have 255 SCBs, but since
I've never had access to a card to experiment with enabling this feature,
the current aic7xxx driver does not support this mode.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations