Date:      22 Apr 2001 11:07:42 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre-lists@noos.fr>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: default ipfilter rules

Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 06:15 +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> > "Daryl Chance" <dchance@midsouth.rr.com> writes:
> >
> > > In light of the recent ipfilter problems, i was looking around
> > > in /etc and noticed that theres no default ipf.rules or
> > > ipfilter.rules.  Is there a reason for this?  ipfw has rc.firewall
> > [snip]
> >
> > maybe the following files be installed in /usr/share/examples/ipf ?
> >
> > /usr/src/contrib/ipfilter/rules
>
> That's exactly what is referenced next to where the rules file is
> specified (see the below search commands).  What comes to mind is
> the fact that not everybody has sources available while
> /usr/share/examples is more probable to be installed (but yet
> cannot be taken as a given).  So the current situation might not
> really be satisfactory for most binary only installations.

for instance, I've done this :

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=26763

[snip]
> opened).  Preinstalled configuration can never be more than a
> template since everybody has different requirements.  Although I
> guess rc.firewall "translation" into ipf(5) syntax will be
> appreciated and accepted if provided and not only requested. :>

about that, I've just discovered this tool which may do the job.

http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/flc.html

The Filter Language Compiler (flc) generates rules for the various
packages which perform packet filtering from a common language.

[snip]

> Your .sig suits really fine into the thread. :)

well, this sentence is very popular, but can't remember who wrote it ?

Cyrille.
--
home: mailto:clefevre@poboxes.com   UNIX is user-friendly; it's just particular
work: mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre@edf.fr   about who it chooses to be friends with.