Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 00:14:12 +0200
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: procmail diverts mail to daemon's mailbox

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:13:25PM +0200, Hanspeter Roth Bsag wrote:

[snip]

> Why is it a security issue for root to receive mail?

[snip]

> I only did the chown command and it works.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Hanspeter
>
> end of the original message

   Mail should not be delivered directly to the superuser to prevent
the possibility to run commands as a privileged user.

   If you set up a procmail filter for root, it would be executed with
root privileges (uid=0 and gid=0). The programs or shell scripts to
which messages are sent through a pipe would also be executed
with root privileges, and this is a security risk.

   I'm not a security guru so I cannot answer to your question very
well, sorry.

		Francesco Casadei