Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:53:07 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: monthly accounting contains crap

On 31 Mar 99, at 13:11, Guy Helmer wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Today I received the first monthly run from my cron jobs since upgradi=
ng
> > to 3.1-stable.  And it contains stuff like this:
> >
> > 	=AB=D6=E46ftp27024         0.00
> > 	=AB=D4=DA6ttyv1            0.00
> > 	=ABS=DF6ftp5064          0.00
> > 	=AB/=EB6ftp12674         0.00
> >
> > Which looks like crap to me.  What's going on?
>
> Did you upgrade from a 2.x system?  If so, you probably didn't clear
> /var/account/{sav,usr}acct, and the size of the accounting records chang=
ed
> due to the change to 16-character user names...

Yes.  I did such an upgrade this month.  At present, /var/account is
empty.  I suspect that's because of the month rollover.  Does that make
sense?

Will this occur again next month or will the empty /var/account take care
of that?

BTW: anyone written a program to convert the old stuff to the new?

thanks.c

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary