Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:44:29 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@samplonius.org>
Cc:        Lawrence Farr <freebsd-stable@epcdirect.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: ufs_dirbad: bad dir panic (Was Areca Weirdness)

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 04:29:17PM -0800, Tom Samplonius wrote:
>=20
> > > I can repeat this 100% now, by copying data onto the drive then
> > unmounting
> > > and remounting it. I have a core dump if anyone can tell me what
> > info to
> > > get from it:
> > >=20
> > >   Version String: FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #0: Wed Nov 15 19:57:01 GMT
> > 2006
> > >     root@monitor.shorewood-epc.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/P6NOUSB
> > >   Panic String: ufs_dirbad: bad dir
> >=20
> > Run fsck -fy on the filesystem, this is a common symptom of a
> > corrupted filesystem.
>=20
>   I think the OP knows the filesystem is corrupted.  The problem is why d=
oes the filesystem get corrupted?  The OP says he can corrupt the filesyste=
m on demand after a newfs.  So it could be the Areca driver, or even bad ha=
rdware.

My point is that this panic can happen when your filesystem becomes
corrupted, and the panic keeps happening during "normal" filesystem
operations until you forcibly fsck it, at which point the panic goes
away.

Kris

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--