Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 19:44:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Turrin <mlt@linkzone.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam filters

Hi Brian,

Thanks for explaining the testing procedure.

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Brian Somers wrote:

> > If I run the check_mail rule I get:
> >
> > > check_mail mlt@111.org
> > rewrite: ruleset 198   input: mlt @ 111 . org
> > rewrite: ruleset   3   input: mlt @ 111 . org
> > rewrite: ruleset  96   input: mlt < @ 111 . org >
> > 111.org: Name server timeout
> > rewrite: ruleset  96 returns: mlt < @ 111 . org >
> > rewrite: ruleset   3 returns: mlt < @ 111 . org >
> > rewrite: ruleset 198 returns: $# error $: 521 #blocked . contact
> > postmaster
> > == Ruleset check_mail (198) status 75
> >
> > Do you know what status 75 stands for?
>
> It probably means that the DNS timed out :-|  For testing, you can
> try ``check_mail mlt@111.org.'' to force your way through the DNS bit.

It is when I run ``check_mail mlt@111.org.'' that I get this status
message.  I think you are right that it is a DNS error because it takes a
while to return this message (sendmail appears to timeout).  So is there
some configuration variable I need to set in sendmail.cf to correct this
problem?  Most of the spam domain names do not have DNS entries so they
time out even with a ``whois'' command.  I have the resolve part of the
ruleset commented out just as shown in the example file so its not getting
called from there.

# Host must be resolvable, currently not used at hub.freebsd.org
#R$* $| $*              $: <?> <$1 $| $2> $>3 foo@$1
#R<?> <$*> $*<@$*.>     $: $1
#R<?> <$*> $*<@$*>      $#error $: 451 Domain does not resolve ($1)

Do I need to uncomment the following in the sendmail.cf file?:

# shall I avoid expanding CNAMEs (violates protocols)?
#O DontExpandCnames

> > Is this the stuff in:
> > ftp://releng22.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releng22/XF8633/
>
> Probably more like
>
>   ftp://releng22.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releng22/src/etc/mail

This is a bad link.  There is no ``/src'' directory only the directory
tree shown below. Here is all that's there:

ftp://releng22.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releng22/

Current directory is /pub/FreeBSD/releng22

Up to higher level directory
  XF8633/                                       Sun Jun 22 00:00:00 1997
  XF86331/                                      Thu Sep 11 08:49:00 1997
  packages/                                     Sat Nov 29 11:48:00 1997

Maybe something has changed at the freebsd.org site.

Thanks again,