Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:00:59 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs checkout ./. csup

--------------enig407A6CBA3330C0B5115475B1

On 15/11/2011 09:48, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Since many years I'm fetching or updating /usr/ports with
>=20
> # cd /usr
> # setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.fr.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs
> # cvs checkout ports
>=20
> and later do the updating just with:
>=20
> # cd /usr/ports
> # cvs update
> # portupgrade -ai
>=20
> The FreeBSD handbook describes (or recommends?) using 'csup' for
> updating ports tree... What is the advantage (or reason, if any)?

Efficiency, basically.  csup should require less bandwidth and put less
load on servers than using cvs directly.  It works like rsync, only
transferring the parts of the files that changed but exploiting the cvs
revision history to produce more specific and minimal deltas than you
can get just by using the standard rsync algorithm.

However csup(1) doesn't give you any of the VCS features you'ld get by
doing a cvs checkout -- so no simple way to diff a local copy against
the repo, etc. etc. 'cvs checkout' of all or parts of the ports is still
frequently preferable for developing rather than just using the ports.

There are also many more cvsup servers worldwide than there are anon-cvs
servers.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20