Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:03:17 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Doug <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Inetd wrapping OFF by default

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:37:51 MST, Doug wrote:

>       This is going to sound like I'm attacking sheldon, but I'm not
> since he's already stated that the got approval for this change from
> Jordan.

Jordan will be the first to admit that he's been wrong before and I have
a thick skin.

>       First, the setting in /etc/defaults/rc.conf should default to
> off, as defaulting it to on violates POLA for the many many people who
> haven't updated to 3.x from 2.2 yet.

If we were integrating TCP Wrapper support into the base system for the
very first time, I'd agree with you. However, we've already had a
release go out with an inetd that wrapped by default.

This is a situation in which we can't make _everyone_ happy. For the
particular case you've provided, anyone who upgrades from 2.2 to 3.3
without reading the release notes will get what's coming to him.

> Also, if the decision is made to leave it on by default, there should
> be a hosts.allow file installed by default that has nothing but "ALL :
> ALL" in it.

We already have a hosts.allow that effectively allows everything.

>       Second, this command line switch is horrible UI design for
> several reasons.  First, any command line option that requires that
> the same flag be applied twice is bad design, historical precedents
> aside.

That's an unfortunately timed revelation for me. I feel like I've seen
it in a number of programs, although the only one I can remember is
ftpd(8). I used that program as a reference, not knowing that it was bad
design. :-(

> Second, what if I want to wrap my internal services, but not wrap my
> external ones?

Then you want something that the guys working on the code, who use inetd
quite a lot, didn't think of. They probably made the assumption that
real-world scenarios like that don't exist.

>       I propose that the -w flag be changed to take parameters. To
> start with, you would have [-w <[e] [i]>] to control wrapping for
> external and internal services respectively.

This makes my skin crawl, but that's probably just because I know what
the code looks like. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.