Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 13:27:40 +0200
From:      Usov Alexander <usov@hq.ups.kiev.ua>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates use

> Hey all,
> I just read the readme on softupdates.  I'd like to know if they are worth
> using on a single user workstation, or do they really just benefit larger
> servers?  It looks like they affect all disk operations to some degree.

They affect all disk operations, but few of them became slower.
Althought
total FS perfomace increases (even for single-user workstation). But
there
is a little thing you shoul know: during aressive HDD work it`s almost
impossible to work (unless you have SCSI).

> Also, to make sure i have it right, i enable softupdates in the kernel,
> then run tunefs -n on the target filesystem.  That's it, right?  Then just
> sit back and watch the fun begin?  :-)

You have to link two files from /sys/contrib/softupdates (take a look at
README)
and rebuild the kernel. Then reboot and type mount to see the
difference.