Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 10:50:52 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Rob <drifter@stratos.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: `aic' preparedness...

Rob wrote:

>         Since my FreeBSD partition is on a SCSI disk, and I also make
> use of a SCSI tape drive and ZIP disk, at this point I am going to need
> to know if there are any serious plans to reinstate the `aic' driver
> into the current kernel.

I had heard rumours it was being done, but alas I cannot confirm it (though
doubtless someone else more authorative will - I beleive it may be needed in
the grand scheme of things as it's quite common as an embedded SCSI controller
on Laptops)...

>         Already, I am running an "out-of-focus" kernel with a current
> (as of a couple weeks ago -- I forget the date of the last makeworld)
> system, meaning I can't load any `lkm's (including the screen saver) due to
> problems with an undefined symbol `_biovidsw'.

This is a problem I can relate to - I've 'frozen' my system (i.e. not build
the world on it) for quite a while now... I was waiting for the dust to settle
re. CAM, ELF etc. - though it's really starting to hurt... Unfortunately I
didn't keep a copy of the last /usr/src I used to build the world, so the copy
I have on the system is now newer than the 'system'... In short I can't build
Kernels, I can't build LKM's - and I'm finally taking the plunge and backing
everything up and bringing the system up to date this weekend...

>         Also, can anyone point me to a good introduction or
> summary as to what CAM is (I know it stands for "Common Access Method"),
> what its "advantages" are to the old way, and why it's worth putting us
> `aic'ers in limbo over this?  Thanks.

CAM is certainly the way forward - it has better error recovery, it is
apparently 'cleaner' than the current FreeBSD SCSI code - and if you want more
details try:

http://www.freebsd.org/~gibbs/

(Actually looking at that page it's very detailed... I just hope it's up to
date ;-)

Regards,

Karl