Date:      Thu, 10 May 2007 22:03:22 -0400
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Subject:   Re: New FreeBSD package system (a.k.a. Daemon Package System (dps))

In <20070511015156.GA77895@xor.obsecurity.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> typed:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:47:49PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > In <f20c8u$htp$1@sea.gmane.org>, Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr> typed:
> > > I cannot currently actively participate in implementing proposed things,
> > > but I can give advice on sqlite, database and xml schemas if anyone
> > > wants to...
> > One of the things that would be nice for a replacement to do would be
> > to correctly install i386 packages on amd64 platforms (and similar
> > things).
> This has nothing to do with a new packaging system and can be done
> today if someone cares enough to work on it.

Well, yeah - *anything* can be done if someone cares enough to work on
it - it's all just SMOP. You could definitely put enough smarts into
the package installer do this without actually changing the packaging
system. But if we're gonna change the packaging system anyway, why not
consider adding information that the package building software already
has so that the package installer software doesn't have to try and
figure it out?

> > The binaries will run if we have all the libraries installed,
> > but getting them installed is painful. At the very least, an installed
> > package needs to know what platform it was built for, so that packages
> > being installed cross-platform have a chance of figuring out whether
> > or not the installed version of FOO will work for them, or they need
> > to get a version for their specific platform. If the new version can't
> > make cross-platform installs work, hopefully that goal can be kept in
> > mind while the work is beign done.
> >
> > Personally, I'd still like LOCALBASE to move out of /usr/local. Maybe
> > it's time to reconsider that.
> Not gonna happen as a default, but you can change it on your systems
> if you like.

Not very reliably.

	<mike