Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:55:09 +0900
From:      Stephane LAPIE <stephane.lapie@darkbsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DELL SAS5/E Controller bug

--------------enig8095763199007976027DA7AA

John Baldwin wrote:
> Gah, that should be the case that I ignore.  Can you replace the second=
=20
> warnx() call I added with this:
>=20
> 		warnx("mpt_read_ioc_page(6): %s (%x)", mpt_ioc_status(IOCStatus),
> 		    IOCStatus);

I now get the following message :
mptutil: mpt_read_ioc_page(6): Invalid configuration page (8022)

(Though I guess this doesn't tell anything that we did not know initially=
)

> I know that the rescan after removing a device is a bit messy (lots of =

> messages before daX actually goes away), but I don't recall it taking s=
uch a=20
> long time.

Even without rescanning the bus, the device actually goes away on its
own after the same delay of three minutes.

> The documentation is not public.  The 0x12 and 0x16 messages are events=
 that
> I have seen.  You can try talking to scottl@ as he has access to the do=
cs.

I could contact Scott, and here are the relevant bits of his answer :
> The basic problem is that FreeBSD still sees all of this as parallel SC=
SI, subject to rescans and resets and timeouts.  It's fighting with the S=
AS controller.  I'll explain more below.

> I'm working on code that will make FreeBSD more aware of how SAS works.=
  It's several months from being done, though.=20

Reposting here for reference the meaning of 0x12 and 0x16 events :
0x12 : SAS Link status changed
0x16 : SAS Discovery Event

I was wondering if using an Areca SAS controller could be a better
solution, but Scott's answer has me wondering if this is a common issue
to all SAS controllers on FreeBSD.
--=20
Stephane LAPIE, EPITA SRS, Promo 2005
"Even when they have digital readouts, I can't understand them."
--MegaTokyo