Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 13:11:36 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, mckusick@mckusick.com
Subject:   Re: BAD BUG IN UFS RENAME

>Well, I've discovered some very interesting brain damage.
>
>In the case of an attemped cross-device rename, both NAMEI buffers are
>freed twice.

   Yes, I think I see this - the VOP_ABORTOP's on both cn buffers, followed by
the explicit free's in rename()?

>In the case of a rename of a->b where a + b have the same inode numbers
>but not the same name, the, the from buffer is freed twice.

   Hmmm, I think I see it free the *to* buffer twice, but I don't see what
you're seeing regarding the *from* buffer.
   Also, in rename(), the case where the file has the same name, too, will
cause *both* buffers to be freed twice - note the two VOP_ABORTOP's followed
by the explicit frees.
   Lite2 has the same bugs.

-DG