Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:33:12 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD as a VPN Server/Router

I am going to venture into the field of the security gurus so help me
God! It looks like I am gonna get stuck in wet cement, I can feel it;)

I have two sites, siteA and siteB. Each site has a horde of Windows PCs
behind a FreeBSD box, which acts as a firewall/router/proxy/everything:)
Each site has got a dedicated connection to an ISP. At the moment it's
the same ISP, if that matters, but my thinking is that it can be any
ISP.

I have a challenge of establishing a WAN between the two sites. They
are geographically apart. In this scenario, siteA has several
applications running on several windows servers which are behind the
FreeBSD box.
The challenge is to allow siteB to access these applications securely
via the WAN setup. VPN comes straight to mind, but this is a new area
to me.

The boxes are both FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE.

I am looking for pointers/clues on how to do the setup in a clean way,
while adhering to K.I.S.S as closely as possible.

If extra hardware (other than the FreeBSD boxes) is required so that
the WAN is efficient, I'd be happy to know.

I am very optimistic on pulling this one off, since I belong to a
community full of security experts (FreeBSD users).

PS: I am already googling, perhaps with the wrong keywords:-)

-Wash

DISCLAIMER: See http://www.wananchi.com/bms/terms.php

--
    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash@wananchi.com>
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121

Who messed with my anti-paranoia shot?