Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:52:04 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Another Linux Religious war (was Re: Commercial vendors  registry)

Kevin P. Neal wrote:

> At 03:45 PM 4/16/97 -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> >Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> >> Now if I could just get them to accept FreeBSD...
> >>
> >I don't understand your problem: Apache is part of the ports collection
> >and the package runs "plug'n play" !
>
> The problem is that my manager thinks that PCs are for NT and workstations
> are for Unix. The two shall never meet.

Ohh..I also had the same problem, Kevin. The explanation I have for
having FreeBSD around is that of a "backup server". Sometimes The AIX
box failed or some "low level" maintainance had to be made, so I have my
FreeBSD BOX to replace the server when it's needed, and I also use it to
test the software I will install on the bigger box.
After sometime I pointed out that I was using the most expensive box for
simple purposes (web), while we were not using the real developing tools
(Oracle) we have on the expensive box, and the doubt was left in the
air.
Lately Microsoft found out we were using OS/2 and gave us a 80% discount
on their products, which has been devastating for my UNIX intentions,
but on the short run they will figure out NT is unsuitable for some
things and they will beg for FreeBSD again :-).

Pedro.

> --
> XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
> XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/
> XCOMM  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu              Spoken by Keir Finlow-Bates:
> XCOMM "Good grief, I've just noticed I've typed in a rant. Sorry chaps!"
(I cc'd this again to the list, cause someone may find my strategy
useful)